Saturday, November 14, 2009

keeping apples warm in the winter

Every Christmas my mom puts out a big bowl of red apples with green ribbons tied on the stems. How cute would that same bowl be with a couple of sweatered apples thrown in the mix? Apple Cozy is definitely a new concept to me, but the pattern looked easy and since I needed a quick project to keep my knitting brain functioning, I cast on for this a few days ago. It was a really fast knit. In my previous life before Leila, I probably could have cranked out a few of these in one of Wes' night shifts. As it is, this project took me three days, but I only worked on it for an hour or less each of those days. I am thrilled that I remembered how to cast on and off, increase and decrease, and most importantly, knit and purl!
The yarn is Lorna's Laces Bittersweet. The apples I have on hand to "model" are pretty small; I think a larger apple would fill this cozy out perfectly. But as it is, it's adorable and also will keep the apple from bruising if I throw it in my bag for a snack on the go. I plan on making a couple more of these to add to Christmas gifts, but if you want to make one for yourself, here is the pattern. (There are also crochet versions available, but since I'm more comfortable knitting, that's what I chose. However, if you do a google search for crochet apple cozy patterns, you should get more than one to choose from.)

No comments: