Monday, July 05, 2010

celebrating America

growing up in Huntington Beach, it was impossible to be unpatriotic on the 4th of July. of course, I thought patriotic was what it meant to put on every red, white and/or blue article of clothing I owned, go downtown, get my face painted by the YMCA Indian Guides and eat as many cherry, coconut and blueberry Jelly Bellies possible over the duration of the largest Independence Day parade west of the Mississippi. 
Every year we set up camp on the curb outside Esther's house on Main Street and thanked the Good Lord above that we went to the same church as someone who lived on the parade route and lovingly opened her home to the congregation!
Since getting married and moving north, I've missed the parade but this year we decided that Leila needed to experience an HB 4th for herself. She and I wore our new outfits that I sewed Friday night while Wes was working. It was a little cold in the morning, but by the halfway point of the parade, it was plenty warm enough to bare our shoulders!
It's so easy on a beautiful day at the beach to focus on the sun, bike rides and beer selections but I hope that most people took time yesterday to pause and appreciate how blessed we are in our country. 

2 comments:

mrs. harmony said...

Ohmygoodness... I LOVE what you made!! You two look so cute! Your tank really turned out great! :) Good job, dear crafty friend!

Kristina said...

Wish I could have been there. Maybe we could make a July 4th tradition of meeting up in HB each year and celebrating together. It was too stinkin' hot here.
LOVE the outfits you made, so creative. Leila is too cute! Kisses!